Week 5 – DiscussionNo unread replies.No replies.
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
Communication and Teamwork
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read chapter 8 in our course text and the following articles:
- Teamwork as an Essential Component of High-Reliability Organizations (Links to an external site.)
- Interprofessional Collaboration within Integrative Healthcare Clinics through the Lens of the Relationship-Centered Care Model (Links to an external site.)
After completing this week’s reading, you have learned that teamwork is an essential part of continuous quality improvement (CQI) and health care delivery. Health care professional roles include physicians, nurses, diagnostics (laboratory) and radiology staff, hospital administrators, patient registration, pharmacists, triage staff, and so forth. Each role has its own contribution to ensuring the delivery of quality care.
In your opinion,
- Discuss two of the roles listed above and their role in the delivery of quality care.
- Identify two professional responsibilities of the chosen roles and link them to the quality improvement process of improving patient wait times in the emergency room.
- Include communication techniques this role would utilize to assist in improving patient wait times to the CQI team or staff.
Your initial post should be 250 to 300 words and utilize at least one scholarly source from the University of Arizona Global Campus Library to justify your statements. Cite all sources in APA format as outlined in the Writing Center’s Introduction to APA (Links to an external site.). The Research, Keywords, Databases: An Overview (Links to an external site.) video tutorial is available to help you become more familiar with the library database search features and how to generate keywords.
Expert Solution Preview
Teamwork is a vital aspect of delivering quality patient care, as it improves communication, reduces errors, and increases patient satisfaction. Collaborative care involves several healthcare professionals, each with their unique roles and responsibilities. This discussion will focus on the roles of healthcare professionals in healthcare delivery and quality improvement, their professional responsibilities, and communication techniques utilized to assist in improving patient wait times.
1. Discuss two of the roles listed above and their role in the delivery of quality care.
Answer: Among the roles mentioned above, physicians and nurses play a crucial role in healthcare delivery. Physicians are responsible for the diagnosis and treatment of diseases, and they collaborate with other healthcare professionals to oversee patient care. Nurses, on the other hand, play a critical role in patient care by administering medications, monitoring vital signs, and delivering patient education. They also communicate with physicians and other healthcare professionals to ensure that the patient receives timely and appropriate care.
2. Identify two professional responsibilities of the chosen roles and link them to the quality improvement process of improving patient wait times in the emergency room.
Answer: In terms of the professional responsibilities of physicians and nurses for improving patient wait times in the emergency room, physicians are responsible for timely diagnosis and treatment. They aim to minimize the length of stay in the ER by prioritizing patients based on the severity of their condition. Nurses, on the other hand, monitor patient queues, identify priority cases, and ensure efficient communication between patients, physicians, and other healthcare professionals. They also identify areas for process improvement by providing feedback to the CQI team.
3. Include communication techniques this role would utilize to assist in improving patient wait times to the CQI team or staff.
Answer: In order to improve patient wait times, physicians and nurses should utilize effective communication techniques such as handover reports, huddles, or regular communication meetings with the CQI team or staff. By communicating regularly with other healthcare professionals, physicians and nurses can establish clear expectations, identify challenges, and provide feedback on process improvement. They can also collaborate with hospital administrators to develop strategies that promote patient flow and minimize wait times. Effective communication helps to ensure that all healthcare professionals are working towards a common goal of delivering quality, patient-centered care.