For this assignment:
- Select an infectious disease, chronic disease, or a topic in public health. You may refer to the American Public Health Association page for the most important issues and problems:
- Conduct a short literature review of this topic for the target population you have chosen. You may want to first research and find out where and among which group the issue is the most prevalent.
- Choose one of the theories that we have learned during the course of this class that you can apply in order to take a health-related action.
- Refer to your text on various intervention strategies we have learned. Select at least two to three strategies that you can apply that will foster the changes you want to measure. For each intervention, provide an example of how it can be used, and be sure to include a brief description of each intervention along with a rationale for using the intervention.
- Discuss the types of evaluation you will apply to measure the immediate and long-tem effectiveness of your proposed strategies.
- What are the roles of social determinants in promoting health, health disparities, and health equity related to this issue?
- Your paper should be five to seven pages in length (excluding cover page and reference page), and should have between four and six references. Your textbook can be one of your sources.
- Use APA (6th ed.) format to style your paper and to cite your sources. Your sources should be integrated into the paragraphs. Use internal citations pointing to evidence in the literature and supporting your ideas. You will need to include a reference page listing those sources.
See the rubric for specific grading criteria.
Due: Sunday, 11:59 p.m. (Pacific time)
Expert Solution Preview
The selected topic for this college assignment is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and its prevalence among the elderly population. COPD is a chronic disease that affects the lungs and can lead to breathing difficulties. It is a serious public health issue, with around 65 million people affected worldwide. In the United States, COPD is the third leading cause of death and is responsible for significant morbidity and mortality. The aim of this paper is to conduct a literature review on COPD’s prevalence among the elderly population, apply a theory to take health-related action, select and describe intervention strategies, discuss evaluation methods, and understand the roles of social determinants in promoting health, health disparities, and health equity related to COPD in the elderly population.
1. What is the selected topic for this college assignment, and why is it considered a public health issue?
The selected topic for this college assignment is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which is considered a public health issue due to its high prevalence, morbidity, and mortality rates globally and in the United States. COPD is a chronic disease that affects the lungs and causes breathing difficulties, making it challenging for people to carry out their daily activities. COPD can lead to other health complications, affecting a person’s quality of life and adding to the healthcare burden.
2. Why is it essential to conduct a literature review when choosing a public health issue to address?
Conducting a literature review is essential when selecting a public health issue to address because it helps in identifying the prevalence, causes, risk factors, intervention strategies, and evaluation methods related to the selected topic. It also provides insight into the current state of knowledge and understanding of the issue, gaps in research, and potential areas for further study.
3. What is a theory, and why is it important to apply it in taking health-related action?
A theory is a set of ideas or concepts that explain a phenomenon or behavior. Applying a theory to take health-related action helps to understand the underlying reasons behind the behavior or phenomenon, develop strategies that will influence the behavior, predict outcomes, and evaluate the effectiveness of the intervention. The theory helps in identifying the factors that influence the behavior, the target population, and the intervention strategies used.
4. Name two to three intervention strategies that can be used to promote changes related to COPD among the elderly population. Provide a brief description and rationale for each.
Intervention strategies that can be used to promote changes related to COPD among the elderly population include:
a. Education: Providing education to the elderly population about COPD, its causes, symptoms, and preventive measures can help raise awareness and promote early diagnosis and management. The education can be provided through community outreach programs, media campaigns, and healthcare professionals.
b. Pulmonary rehabilitation: Pulmonary rehabilitation is a program that includes exercise, breathing techniques, and education to improve the quality of life of people with COPD. The program can be conducted individually or in groups and can help reduce symptoms, improve functional capacity, and increase self-management skills.
c. Smoking cessation: Smoking is a significant risk factor for COPD. Providing smoking cessation programs can help reduce smoking rates among the elderly population and prevent the onset of COPD or slow down its progression. Smoking cessation programs can include counseling, medication, and community-based interventions.
5. What are the types of evaluation that can be applied to measure the immediate and long-term effectiveness of the proposed intervention strategies?
The types of evaluation that can be applied to measure the immediate and long-term effectiveness of the proposed intervention strategies include process evaluation, impact evaluation, and outcome evaluation. Process evaluation measures the implementation of the intervention, including its fidelity, reach, and quality. Impact evaluation measures the short-term effects of the intervention, including changes in knowledge, behavior, and attitude. Outcome evaluation measures the long-term effects of the intervention, including changes in health outcomes, quality of life, and cost-effectiveness.
6. What are the roles of social determinants in promoting health, health disparities, and health equity related to COPD in the elderly population?
Social determinants play a significant role in promoting health, health disparities, and health equity related to COPD among the elderly population. Social determinants, such as income, education, access to healthcare, and living conditions, affect a person’s risk of developing COPD and impact their ability to manage the condition effectively. The elderly population may face social determinants such as poverty, limited mobility, and lack of access to healthcare, which can lead to poor health outcomes and disparities. Addressing social determinants can help promote health equity and reduce health disparities related to COPD in the elderly population.