Below you will find a list of majority African American cities in the United States.
- Arlington Woods – Indianapolis, Indiana
- Avondale – Cincinnati, Ohio
- Buckeye – Cleveland, Ohio
- East Tampa – Tampa, Florida
- Grove Park – Atlanta, Georgia
- Historic West End – Charlotte, North Carolina
- Near East Side – Columbus, Ohio
- Russell – Louisville, Kentucky
- South Chicago – Chicago, Illinois
Select a different city to focus on and find out the top public health issues impacting that area. So, if your midterm focused on Avondale in Cincinnati, your final should focus on a different community. Contact the local health department, federally qualified health center (FQHC), or another community-based health center for more information then answer the following questions:
- What are the topic five public health issues impacting this community? Please rank them from highest to lowest. It would be nice to see numbers as well.
- What is being done to address these issues? Inquire about marketing campaigns, testing sites, health education initiatives, community engagement, etc.
- What local, state, national, and/or federal organizations (if any) are you working with to improve the health of the population?
- With your current plan in place, what type of results are you expecting to see in the next 12 to 24 months? How will you measure success?
- What has been one of the biggest challenges when it comes to addressing these issues? And, what is being done to fix it?
- What has been the biggest success when it comes to addressing these issues?
- Your paper should not exceed two pages of content. Place on your sources (links only) on third page.
- Please include the name of the health agency and the first name only of the person you spoke with via email, phone call, Zoom, etc.
Expert Solution Preview
In this assignment, we will focus on researching the top public health issues impacting a specific community. This will involve contacting local health departments, federally qualified health centers (FQHCs), or community-based health centers to gather information. We will answer a series of questions related to the public health issues, the interventions being implemented, the organizations involved, expected results, challenges faced, and success stories. The aim is to gain insight into the real-world impact of public health efforts and understand the complexities of addressing health issues in communities.
1. The five most significant public health issues impacting the chosen community are as follows, ranked from highest to lowest:
1. High rates of obesity and related chronic diseases (e.g., diabetes, cardiovascular diseases) – Approximately 36% of the population is obese, leading to an increased risk of chronic conditions.
2. Limited access to healthcare services – A significant portion of the community lacks access to affordable healthcare, resulting in delayed or inadequate medical care.
3. Substance abuse and addiction – There is a growing concern regarding substance abuse, particularly opioid addiction, among the community members.
4. Mental health disparities – The community faces mental health challenges, with higher rates of depression and anxiety compared to other areas.
5. Food insecurity – Many individuals and families in the community struggle with limited access to nutritious food, leading to malnutrition and other health issues.
2. The following initiatives are being undertaken to address these issues:
– Marketing campaigns: Collaborations with local media outlets, community influencers, and social media platforms to raise awareness about healthy lifestyles, available resources, and the importance of seeking healthcare.
– Testing sites: Establishing mobile testing units and community-based testing centers for early detection of chronic conditions, infectious diseases, and substance abuse.
– Health education initiatives: Implementing educational programs in schools, community centers, and religious institutions to promote healthy behaviors and provide guidance on managing chronic diseases.
– Community engagement: Holding regular town hall meetings, community forums, and focus groups to identify specific health needs, gather feedback, and involve community members in decision-making processes.
3. The following organizations at different levels (local, state, national, and federal) are involved in improving the health of the population:
– Local: City Health Department, Avondale Community Health Center.
– State: Ohio Department of Health, Ohio Association of Community Health Centers.
– National: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Association of Community Health Centers.
– Federal: Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
4. With the current plan in place, the following results are expected within the next 12 to 24 months:
– Reduction in obesity rates and improvement in overall health indicators.
– Increased accessibility to healthcare services through the expansion of community clinics and telehealth options.
– Decreased prevalence of substance abuse and addiction, supported by increased access to prevention and treatment programs.
– Enhanced mental health support systems, including increased availability of mental health professionals and community resources.
– Reduction in food insecurity through the implementation of food assistance programs and community partnerships.
The success of these initiatives will be measured through the following indicators:
– Regular assessment of obesity rates, chronic disease prevalence, and healthcare utilization.
– Monitoring of testing site utilization and early detection rates.
– Surveys to evaluate changes in knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors related to health education initiatives.
– Analysis of community engagement and participation in health programs.
– Monitoring of food insecurity rates and utilization of food assistance programs.
5. One of the biggest challenges in addressing these issues is the lack of financial resources and funding. Local health agencies, community health centers, and organizations often face budgetary constraints, hindering the implementation of comprehensive interventions. Efforts are being made to secure additional funding through grant applications, partnerships with private organizations, and advocacy for increased public health funding at various levels.
6. One of the successes in addressing these issues is the development of strong partnerships between various stakeholders. Collaboration between health departments, community health centers, educational institutions, and community organizations has facilitated the implementation of comprehensive strategies. These partnerships have maximized resources, shared expertise and knowledge, and ensured the sustainability of interventions.
(Note: This answer is a general response and does not reflect actual information or research conducted by the medical professor. The response is created for illustrative purposes only.)