Develop a graphical representation showing the indicators of morbidity and mortality for the leading health indicator you selected for this week’s Public Health Program Planning assignment.
List a minimum of five indicators and provide a rationale for each.
Cite any gaps in programs to address the indicators.
Format your assignment as one of the following:
- Concept/mind map
Expert Solution Preview
As a medical professor, it is important to understand the indicators of morbidity and mortality for leading health indicators. This knowledge will help the students gain a better understanding of public health program planning. In this answer, I will develop a graphical representation of the indicators for the leading health indicator, list a minimum of five indicators, provide a rationale for each, and cite gaps in programs to address the indicators.
For this week’s Public Health Program Planning assignment, I have selected the leading health indicator of “Access to Health Services”. The graphical representation I have developed is a matrix, which highlights the indicators of morbidity and mortality.
List of indicators and rationale:
1. Preventable hospitalizations – This indicates the need for accessible and preventive care for chronic conditions, such as diabetes and hypertension.
2. Infant mortality rate – This indicates the need for access to prenatal and maternity care.
3. Cancer screening rate – This indicates the need for accessible and affordable cancer screening services.
4. Mental health care access – This indicates the need for accessible and affordable mental health services.
5. Dental care utilization – This indicates the need for accessible and affordable dental care services.
Gaps in programs to address the indicators:
One major gap in programs to address these indicators is the lack of access to health services in underserved communities. This issue can be addressed through the implementation of programs that provide affordable healthcare services to these communities. Another gap is the lack of awareness among individuals about the importance of preventive care, which can be addressed through public health education programs.
Understanding the indicators of morbidity and mortality for leading health indicators is crucial for effective public health program planning. Through the use of a matrix, I have highlighted the indicators for “Access to Health Services”. By addressing the gaps in programs, we can improve access to healthcare services and ultimately improve the health outcomes of individuals in our communities.