Case Studies 3 & 4
Suggested Reading Material
- Jarvis, C. (2016). Physical examination & health assessment. Seventh edition. St. Louis, Mo.: Elsevier
- Mosby’s manual of diagnostic and laboratory tests (6th ed)
Review the case study and answer all questions
Expert Solution Preview
In these case studies, we will be reviewing medical scenarios and answering questions based on the provided reading material. The case studies are designed to test your understanding of physical examination, health assessment, and diagnostic and laboratory tests. It is important to thoroughly review the suggested reading materials before attempting to answer the questions.
Case Study 3:
Mr. Smith is a 45-year-old male who presents to the clinic with complaint of persistent abdominal pain. He describes the pain as dull and aching, which worsens after eating. He also reports frequent heartburn and difficulty swallowing.
1. Based on the patient’s symptoms, what are the possible causes of his abdominal pain?
2. What specific physical examination techniques would you use to assess the patient’s abdomen?
3. Which diagnostic tests would you order to further evaluate the patient’s condition?
4. What additional information would you like to gather from the patient’s history to help with the diagnosis?
Case Study 4:
Mrs. Johnson is a 70-year-old female who presents to the clinic for her annual check-up. She has a history of hypertension, diabetes, and high cholesterol. She reports feeling fatigued and experiences shortness of breath with minimal exertion. She also mentions occasional palpitations.
1. What are the potential causes of Mrs. Johnson’s fatigue and shortness of breath?
2. What specific physical examination techniques would you utilize to assess Mrs. Johnson’s cardiovascular system?
3. Which diagnostic tests would you order to evaluate her cardiovascular health?
4. Given Mrs. Johnson’s medical history, what additional risk factors should be considered in her evaluation?
Please answer each question separately, providing detailed and comprehensive responses based on your understanding of the provided reading material.