Assignment: The Impact of Nursing Informatics on Patient Outcomes and Patient Care Efficiencies
In the Discussion for this module, you considered the interaction of nurse informaticists with other specialists to ensure successful care. How is that success determined?
Patient outcomes and the fulfillment of care goals is one of the major ways that healthcare success is measured. Measuring patient outcomes results in the generation of data that can be used to improve results. Nursing informatics can have a significant part in this process and can help to improve outcomes by improving processes, identifying at-risk patients, and enhancing efficiency.
- Review the concepts of technology application as presented in the Resources.
- Reflect on how emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence may help fortify nursing informatics as a specialty by leading to increased impact on patient outcomes or patient care efficiencies.
The Assignment: (4-5 pages)
In a 4- to 5-page project proposal written to the leadership of your healthcare organization, propose a nursing informatics project for your organization that you advocate to improve patient outcomes or patient-care efficiency. Your project proposal should include the following:
- Describe the project you propose.
- Identify the stakeholders impacted by this project.
- Explain the patient outcome(s) or patient-care efficiencies this project is aimed at improving and explain how this improvement would occur. Be specific and provide examples.
- Identify the technologies required to implement this project and explain why.
- Identify the project team (by roles) and explain how you would incorporate the nurse informaticist in the project team.
Expert Solution Preview
The success of nurse informaticists’ interaction with other specialists is determined by the achievement of successful care, which is measured by patient outcomes and the fulfillment of care goals. Measuring patient outcomes generates data that can be utilized to enhance results, and nursing informatics can significantly contribute to this process by improving processes, identifying at-risk patients, and enhancing efficiency. Through the implementation of emerging technologies, such as artificial intelligence, nursing informatics can become a more fortified specialty that increases its impact on patient outcomes or patient care efficiencies. The proposed nursing informatics project should aim to improve patient outcomes or patient-care efficiency by identifying the stakeholders impacted, describing the project proposed, identifying required technologies, and incorporating the nurse informaticist on the project team.