Organizational policy alignment and adherence to laws and regulations is critical for overall corporate compliance and to decrease organizational risks (patient falls, medication errors, cyber hacks and PHI data breaches, infection control, et cetera). In this assignment, you will select, evaluate, and update one health care provider’s policy related to a significant regulatory risk to the health care organization.
If you work for a hospital or health care organization you may select a policy that is of interest to you then follow these assignment instructions:
- Imagine you are a health care administrator at your current employer. Analyze the policy you selected, taking into consideration any recent changes. Evaluate what information and where that information would need to be updated. Propose revisions that are based on current identified standards and/or new guidelines that you have researched in the text or identified in other high-quality sources (that is, journals, government websites, and the like). Analyze the significance of the selected policy updates as it relates to potential litigation. (Why did the policy need updating? What threats do these changes help avoid?) Summarize your perspective on the revisions as well as any additional changes that should be considered. Present your work as an executive summary suitable for distribution to your organization’s board members.
- Your paper should be 3–5 pages long and should include a title page and references for a total of 5–7 pages.
Strayer Writing Standards
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course.
The grading criteria for this executive summary is as follows. It must include the elements listed below, so be sure to address each point. You may also want to review the performance-level descriptions for each criterion in the scoring guide to see how your work will be assessed:
- Analyze a problematic or dated health care policy, explaining its primary purpose and effectiveness.
- Determine the issues the selected policy poses as it is written and any related ramifications.
- Research the changes needed to update and align the policy with current standards and guidelines.
- Propose revisions that are based on current identified standards and/or new guidelines.
- Analyze the significance of the selected policy updates as it relates to potential litigation.
- Summarize personal perspective on the revisions as well as any additional changes that should be considered.
- Meet clarity, writing mechanics, and formatting requirements.
Expert Solution Preview
Policy analysis is an essential part of healthcare administration to ensure organizational compliance with regulations and minimize risks to patients and the organization. In this assignment, the focus is on selecting, evaluating, and updating a healthcare provider’s policy related to regulatory risk.
To start the policy analysis, it is necessary to select a policy that is of interest and relevant to the healthcare organization. After selecting the policy, it is important to analyze the policy’s purpose and effectiveness in addressing the regulatory risk it is designed to cover. Additionally, it is important to evaluate any issues that the policy poses as written, including potential ramifications.
Once the policy has been evaluated, the next step is to research the changes needed to update and align the policy with current standards and guidelines. This may include identifying new guidelines or standards that have emerged since the policy was last reviewed or recognizing significant changes in regulations that have occurred.
Proposing revisions to the policy is the next crucial step. These revisions should be based on current identified standards and guidelines and may also incorporate other high-quality sources such as journals and government websites. The proposed revisions should address any issues identified in the analysis, and provide a clear and concise solution to ensure organizational compliance.
The significance of the policy updates in relation to potential litigation should also be analyzed. This includes identifying why the policy needed to be updated and how the changes help avoid potential legal issues.
In concluding the policy analysis, a summary of personal perspective should be included, highlighting any additional changes that should be considered.
Overall, the policy analysis should be presented in an executive summary that is suitable for distribution to the organization’s board members. It should meet clarity, writing mechanics, and formatting requirements as specified in the Strayer Writing Standards.