Create a 12-15 slide PowerPoint presentation in which you address the ethical and legal application in the following scenario:
You are a hospital administrator who has been told by your ICU unit director of a patient in the unit who has suffered serious brain damage from a car accident 2 days ago and is currently intubated. The patient is 45 years old but does not currently meet the criteria for complete brain death as defined by Arizona state legislature “4-1107. Determination of Death and Status; Rules.” The spouse of the patient has consulted with the attending physician. The attending physician informed the spouse that the patient could survive but would likely require life support. Half of the family is insisting that the patient “wouldn’t want to live this way” and the other half is accusing the other family members of wanting to “kill” the patient. Some allegations have been raised about a substantial inheritance for some family members upon the patient’s death. The battle is becoming intense, and it is beginning to disrupt the medical and nursing staff.
- Describe the medical care issues involved in this situation.
- Explain which laws and regulations apply to this situation
- Explain how you would interpret these laws and regulations when making a decision?
- Describe the ethical issues that may arise based on your decision as the administrator.
- Explain how you can ensure appropriate implementation of supporting policies and procedures in order to ensure ethical integrity.
- What policies and procedures would you consider when making your decision? How would you ensure these procedures were followed correctly?
- What resources could you use to support your decision?
Include a title slide, references slide, and speaker notes.
Refer to the resource, “Creating Effective PowerPoint Presentations,” located in the Student Success Center, for additional guidance on completing this assignment in the appropriate style.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competency:
MS Health Administration
5.3: Apply professional, ethical, and legal standards of systematic diversity to facilitate operational effectiveness.
Expert Solution Preview
The following PowerPoint presentation will address the ethical and legal application in a scenario involving a patient with serious brain damage from a car accident who is currently intubated. The patient’s family is in conflict regarding whether the patient should continue to receive life support or not.
1. Describe the medical care issues involved in this situation:
The medical issues involved in this situation include the patient’s brain damage, the need for life support, and the likelihood of the patient’s survival. The attending physician has informed the patient’s spouse that the patient could survive but would likely require life support.
2. Explain which laws and regulations apply to this situation:
The laws and regulations that apply to this situation include Arizona state legislature “4-1107. Determination of Death and Status; Rules” and the Patient Self-Determination Act (PSDA).
3. Explain how you would interpret these laws and regulations when making a decision:
When making a decision, the laws and regulations would be interpreted to ensure that the patient’s wishes and best interests are considered. The PSDA requires healthcare providers to inform patients of their rights to make decisions regarding their medical care and to have advance directives in place.
4. Describe the ethical issues that may arise based on your decision as the administrator:
The ethical issues that may arise based on the decision as the administrator include conflict between the patient’s family members, ensuring the patient’s autonomy and dignity, and ensuring that the patient’s wishes are respected.
5. Explain how you can ensure appropriate implementation of supporting policies and procedures in order to ensure ethical integrity:
To ensure ethical integrity, policies and procedures must be in place to ensure that patients’ wishes are respected, that conflicts are resolved in an ethical and fair manner, and that healthcare providers are trained to provide care in a manner that upholds ethical principles.
6. What policies and procedures would you consider when making your decision? How would you ensure these procedures were followed correctly?
Policies and procedures that would be considered include those related to advance directives, conflict resolution, patient autonomy, and cultural competency. To ensure that these procedures are followed correctly, all staff members would be trained on the policies and procedures and held accountable for adhering to them.
7. What resources could you use to support your decision?
Resources that could be used to support the decision include legal and ethical resources, advance directives, healthcare policies and procedures, and cultural competency training materials. Additionally, consultation with hospital legal and ethics teams can be sought for guidance.
In conclusion, addressing the ethical and legal issues involved in the scenario of a patient with serious brain damage who is intubated and whose family is in conflict requires careful consideration of all relevant laws, regulations, and ethical principles. Policies and procedures must be in place to ensure that patient autonomy, dignity, and wishes are upheld, and that conflicts are resolved in an ethical and fair manner. All healthcare providers must be trained to provide care in a manner that upholds ethical principles and is culturally competent.