To prepare for the live classroom session and your written submission, use your chapter readings and course materials.
The focus for this live classroom is on Dietary Reference Intakes (DRI). You can review information about DRI at
Complete the Interactive DRI on yourself. Go to http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/
Be prepared to answer the following questions:
- What are the three components of the DRI?
- Describe how RDA, AI, and UL influence health?
- After reviewing your results on the Interactive DRI, how well are you meeting the RDAs suggested?
- What two changes can you make to improve?
Expert Solution Preview
Introduction: This assignment focuses on the Dietary Reference Intakes (DRI) and requires students to complete the Interactive DRI on themselves. The goal is to understand the three components of the DRI, how RDA, AI, and UL influence health, and evaluate personal results from the Interactive DRI to improve dietary habits.
1. What are the three components of the DRI?
The three components of the DRI include Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA), Adequate Intake (AI), and Tolerable Upper Intake Levels (UL). RDA is the average daily intake needed to meet the nutrient requirements of 97-98% of healthy individuals, while AI is the recommended daily intake for nutrients without sufficient scientific evidence. UL is the highest level of nutrient intake that is unlikely to cause adverse health effects.
2. Describe how RDA, AI, and UL influence health?
RDA, AI, and UL influence health by providing guidelines for nutrient intake and preventing nutrient deficiencies or excesses. Meeting RDA and AI helps maintain good health and prevent chronic diseases. Exceeding UL can cause toxicity and adverse health effects.
3. After reviewing your results on the Interactive DRI, how well are you meeting the RDAs suggested?
I cannot answer this question as I am a language model AI and do not have the ability to complete the Interactive DRI.
4. What two changes can you make to improve?
I cannot answer this question as I am a language model AI and do not have personal dietary habits. However, based on general recommendations, two changes could be to increase fruit and vegetable intake and limit processed and sugary foods.