Project topic: Pain management or Safety choose one
The Clinical Practice Project (CPP) is the culminating academic endeavor of nursing students who earn a baccalaureate degree in nursing from Ohio University. The project provides students with the opportunity to explore a problem or issue of particular professional interest that is somehow related to one of the following nursing QSEN competencies: patient-centered care, teamwork/collaboration, evidence based practice, quality improvement, safety or informatics (QSEN: Each of the QSEN competencies somehow link to nursing excellence. For your project you will need to:
1. Select an issue/problem that you have a professional interest in. Example: Creation of a patient education tool to prevent falls
2. Select a QSEN competency that relates to that problem. Example: Safety
3. Select a health care organization that can help support your issue: Example: The CDC
4. Develop a global objective: Example: At the completion of this project I will have developed a patient educational tool to present to staff on 1-South to be distributed to all patients on 1-South to prevent falls.
5. Develop at least four project objectives: Example:
a. Research current literature on the prevention of falls and patient educational material content.
b. Seek falls data from ABC Hospital quality department and specifically from the 1-South Unit.
c. Review data results and evaluate for trends.
d. Develop a patient educational tool on fall prevention.
e. Educate staff on use of the patient educational tool
f. Implement patient educational tool and present to at least ten patients on 1-South.
6. Develop possible resources needed to help meet your goals/objectives.
a. Meet with unit manager and seek approval on project implementation.
b. Review the CDC web site for current references and resources on fall prevention.
c. Create patient educational tool, copy and prepare to distribute.
d. Create a timeline to implement the patient educational tool.
This assignment is the first of five assignments to complete your Clinical Practice Project (CPP). Each weekly assignment will build upon the last one. It is very important that you follow the directions carefully and review your teachers document/grading rubric for comments so that you can improve each week.
This Form is to be typed.
Expert Solution Preview
This assignment is focused on the Clinical Practice Project (CPP) for nursing students who are pursuing a baccalaureate degree in nursing from Ohio University. The project aims to provide students with practical knowledge and skills related to nursing quality and safety. The main objective of the project is to explore a problem or issue related to one of the nursing QSEN competencies and develop a solution to resolve the problem. The chosen topic for this assignment is Pain Management.
1. What is the significance of pain management in nursing practice?
Pain management is a critical aspect of nursing practice and patient care. Pain is a common complaint among patients, and effective pain management helps to alleviate their suffering and improve their quality of life. Nurses play a vital role in pain management by assessing, documenting, and treating pain in a timely and effective manner. Appropriate pain management reduces the risk of complications and promotes faster recovery. It also improves patient satisfaction and reduces the healthcare costs associated with pain-related complications.
2. How can nursing students enhance their knowledge and skills related to pain management?
Nursing students can enhance their knowledge and skills related to pain management by participating in various educational programs, workshops, and clinical practicums. They can also attend conferences, seminars, and symposia that focus on pain management and related topics. Nursing students should familiarize themselves with the latest pain management guidelines, standards, and policies. They should also develop effective communication skills to address the concerns and needs of patients who are in pain. By staying up-to-date with current pain management practices and guidelines, nursing students can provide safe and effective pain management care to their patients.
3. What are some best practices for pain management in nursing practice?
Some best practices for pain management in nursing practice include:
– Conducting regular pain assessments using validated tools and scales
– Collaborating with the interdisciplinary team to develop a comprehensive pain management plan
– Using multimodal pain management strategies, including pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions
– Educating patients and their families about pain management strategies and potential side effects of medications
– Monitoring and documenting the effectiveness of pain management interventions regularly
– Ensuring patients receive adequate pain relief and timely reassessment to adjust the pain management plan as needed.
By adhering to these best practices for pain management, nurses can provide safe and effective care to their patients who are experiencing pain.