For the Human Resources: Strategy and Competitive Advantage assessment you will develop a 3-5-page report that analyzes an organization’s current workforce compared to predicted future needs. The report should also include an analysis as to how human resources can provide a competitive advantage.
Workforce planning occurs when organizational hiring managers work alongside their organization’s human resource department to forecast staffing needs and develop a plan to meet those needs (Longest & Darr, 2014). To support many of the initiatives identified via the strategic planning process, talent must be developed within the organization, or recruited into the organization. The planning process includes identifying the organization’s talent needs, followed by an identification of the competencies, values, and behaviors required for effective performance. The workforce of the organization is often one of the largest competitive advantages the organization has and it must be valued, cultivated, and maintained.
Human resource management is the process by which an organization identifies, selects, trains, and manages their workforce. Due to a shortage of health care professionals and clinicians, a significant challenge faced by health care organizations is attracting and retaining highly qualified and competent individuals (Healey & Marchese, 2012). Building and creating high performing teams is important, as the industry is in need of individuals who can overcome obstacles and respond quickly to the rapidly changing environment. Attributes of high performing teams include trust, accountability, communication, and collaboration (Hakanen & Soudunsaari, 2012). Developing and sustaining high performing teams requires human resource personnel to ensure effective strategies are in place to recruit and retain individuals who can meet the rigorous demands of the industry. An organization successful at creating these teams is capable of transforming themselves into a high reliability organization in which patients are treated and serviced with minimal compromise to quality or patient safety.
Hakanen, M., & Soudunsaari, A. (2012). Building trust in high-performing teams. Technology Innovation Management Review, 2(6), 38–41.
Healey, B. J., & Marchese, M. C. (2012). Foundations of health care management: Principles and methods. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
Longest, B. B., & Darr, K. (2014). Managing health services organizations and systems (6th ed.). Baltimore, MD: Health Professions Press.
Demonstration of Proficiency
- Competency 2: Apply theories and best practices in human resource and workforce management to solve organizational issues in health care systems.
- Analyze the current workforce in comparison to the needs of the future.
- Describe ideal staffing plans for the organization based upon understanding of future needs.
- Explain implications for the organization’s future if the workforce is unable to accommodate and support the needs of the organization.
- Analyze how human resources can be seen as a competitive advantage within the organization.
- Competency 3: Analyze the components of high performance teams to enable the achievement of the departmental strategic vision.
- Identify appropriate measures to evaluate and determine the success of the newly implemented staffing plan.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and respectful of the diversity, dignity, and integrity of others and is consistent with health care professionals.
- Demonstrate effective communication through writing and proper use of APA style.
- Communicate in a professional and effective manner by writing content clearly and logically, with correct use of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
This assessment is based upon the scenario presented in the Vila Health: Human Resources media simulation. Be sure you have completed this activity before you begin your assessment.
It may be helpful to consider the following as you work through the simulation:
- What is the current state of the workforce in compare to the needs of the future in the simulation?
- What should be an ideal staffing plan to consider?
- How can human resources be seen as a competitive advantage within the organization?
- What could be the implications of not addressing the organization’s workforce as it relates to its strategic goals identified for the future of the organization?
- What are three measures you would implement to determine whether the new human resource staffing plan has effectively met the needs of the organization?
Human resources are those individuals with specialized skills and commitment to deliver health services. Strategic human resource planning enables organizations to support their master strategic plan by ensuring the organization is equipped from a human capital perspective to meet future demands.
For this assessment, put yourself in the role of a leader at St. Anthony Medical Center. You are making a report regarding your observations and analysis in the wake of what happened in the Vila Health media simulation related to this assessment.
This assessment can be organized into 2 parts:
- Part 1: Comparison of Current Workforce to Future Needs.
- Part 2: Staffing Plan and Competitive Advantage.
Part 1: Comparison of Current Workforce to Future Needs
For this part, present your analysis of St. Anthony Medical Center’s (SAMC) current state and preparedness with regard to their workforce. Additionally, comment briefly on how this compares to the needs and gaps you noted in the media scenario.
As you complete this part, it may be helpful to consider the following:
- What is the capacity now based upon current staffing?
- What is the current state of the workforce in compare to the needs of the future for SAMC?
- What issues will be caused by the difference between current and future staffing capacity?â€‹
Part 2: Staffing Plan and Competitive Advantage
For this part of the assessment, you will present an ideal staffing plan based upon your analysis of the media simulation. Your plan should include measures that can be used to judge its success. Additionally, to help illustrate your plan’s importance and benefits to SAMC, present a compelling argument about what impact it may have on the organization if your staffing plan is not adopted, as well as the benefits of creating a competitive advantage through human resources.
As you complete this part of your assessment, it may be helpful to consider:
- What should be an ideal staffing plan to consider (more staff, less staff, or a diversified workforce, etcetera)?
- What can the future staffing model do for the organization?
- What three measures would you implement to determine whether the new human resource staffing plan has effectively met the needs of the organization?
- How might the organization be impacted moving forward if workforce issues are not addressed?
- How could this impact the organization’s ability to meet strategic goals?
- What is a competitive advantage?
- How can human resources become an advantage for an organization within the industry?
- Structure: Include a title page, table of contents, and reference page.
- Length: 3–5 pages.
- References: Cite at least three current scholarly or professional resources.
- Format: Use APA style for references and citations.
- Font: Times New Roman font, 12 point, double-spaced for narrative portions only.
Expert Solution Preview
As a medical professor, it is crucial to understand the importance of human resource management in healthcare organizations. The workforce is a critical component that can contribute to the success or failure of an organization. Effective human resource management can provide a competitive advantage to the organization by developing and maintaining high-performing teams.
Part 1: Comparison of Current Workforce to Future Needs
St. Anthony Medical Center (SAMC) has a workforce that is insufficient to meet its future needs. The current state of the workforce is inadequate due to the number of employees available to work. The healthcare industry is facing a shortage of qualified and competent healthcare professionals, which makes it challenging for organizations to attract and retain skilled individuals.
SAMC needs to assess its current workforce to determine the gaps in the workforce. The current staffing capacity needs to be analyzed to identify if it can support the organization’s needs in the future. SAMC needs to identify the competencies, values, and behaviors required for effective performance to attract and retain highly qualified individuals.
The gaps in the workforce will affect the organization’s ability to provide quality care to its patients. The shortage of competent healthcare professionals will make it challenging for SAMC to achieve its strategic goals and objectives. SAMC needs to address this challenge by developing a workforce that can meet the organization’s future needs.
Part 2: Staffing Plan and Competitive Advantage
SAMC should develop an ideal staffing plan that can meet its future needs. The plan should include measures that can be used to determine its success. The plan’s success can be evaluated based on the recruitment and retention of highly qualified healthcare professionals, employee engagement, and patient outcomes.
SAMC needs to consider different staffing models to meet its future needs. SAMC can diversify the workforce by hiring individuals from different backgrounds to provide culturally competent care to its patients. The staffing plan should also provide opportunities for career development and growth to attract and retain highly qualified individuals.
If SAMC does not address its workforce issues, it will negatively impact the organization’s ability to meet its strategic goals and objectives. The healthcare industry is highly competitive, and organizations need to develop a competitive advantage to thrive. Human resources can provide a competitive advantage by developing and maintaining high-performing teams.
Human resources can become an advantage for an organization within the industry by providing a workforce that can meet the organization’s current and future needs. Human resources can create a culture of excellence that values, cultivates, and maintains the workforce. An excellent workforce can contribute to the success of an organization by providing quality care to its patients.
Three measures that SAMC can implement to determine whether the new human resource staffing plan has effectively met the needs of the organization are:
1. Recruitment and Retention Rates: SAMC can measure its success by analyzing the recruitment and retention rates of highly qualified healthcare professionals.
2. Employee Engagement: SAMC can measure employee engagement by conducting surveys to determine the level of job satisfaction and engagement of its workforce.
3. Patient Outcomes: SAMC can measure the success of its staffing plan by analyzing patient outcomes. The staffing plan should contribute to improved patient outcomes such as reduced hospital readmissions, improved patient satisfaction, and reduced mortality rates.
Effective human resource management is essential for healthcare organizations’ success. The workforce is a critical component that needs to be valued, cultivated, and maintained to provide quality care to patients. SAMC needs to develop an ideal staffing plan that can meet its future needs to ensure it provides quality care to its patients. The success of the plan can be evaluated based on recruitment and retention rates, employee engagement, and patient outcomes.