Assignment 2: Teaching Plan Project
Assessment of Learning
To start the teaching plan project, you will create an 8- to 10-page paper (excluding the title page, references, and Appendices) considering a specific population and topic to be taught to the leaners on a patient safety initiative from the IOM and QSEN competencies. The project can be designed for group of patients in a hospital setting, staff education, or a group of clients in a community setting (such as Planned Parenthood, adult education).
- Topic/Title of Teaching Plan
Create a title of the teaching plan and provide a brief description of the topic and rationale for selection of the topic.
- Target Audience
- Provide a brief description of the target audience and rationale for selection of this population.
- Learner Assessment Questionnaire
- Develop a Learner Assessment Questionnaire (include in the Appendixof the paper) that includes three sections to assess your audience’s learning preferences, learning needs, and learner demographics. You will develop 10 questions for each section
- In the body of the paper, discuss the resources you used to develop this tool and how this tool will be beneficial in assessing your learners.
Goals and Objectives
Next in the teaching plan project you will need to identify the overall goal of the teaching plan and learning objectives that the learner must meet for the selected topic.
- Discuss the overall goal(s) of the teaching plan. What is it you anticipate the learners will accomplish for your targeted audience? Remember that the goal needs to be learner centered.
- Includes three learning objectives that the learner must successfully meet. The objectives must be learner centered, break down the task and focus on specific cognitive processes, have an action verb according to Bloom’s Taxonomy, and be measurable.
Please note that in addition to assigned course materials, it is an expectation that you will include additional scholarly references to support your position. Submit this assignment to the W3: Assignment 2 Dropbox by Saturday, October 29, 2016.
|Part 1 – Teaching Project Grading Criteria|
|Selected a topic and title for the teaching plan and provided description and rationale for selection of the topic.|
|Provided description and rationale for selection of target audience.|
|Included a Learner Assessment Questionnaire (Appendix) that is crafted based on the section description.|
|Discussed the questionnaire resources and potential benefits for learner assessment.|
|Included an overall learner centered goal(s) for the learning activity.|
|Included 3 learning objectives that are student centered, focus on specific cognitive processes, include an action verb according to Bloom’s Taxonomy, and are measurable.|
|Followed APA guidelines for writing style, spelling and grammar, and citation of sources|
Expert Solution Preview
Introduction: In this assignment, students are tasked with creating a teaching plan project focused on a patient safety initiative from the IOM and QSEN competencies. The project is designed for a specific population and can be implemented in a hospital, staff education, or community setting.
1. Title/Topic of Teaching Plan: The title of the teaching plan is “Reducing Hospital-Acquired Infections through Proper Hand Hygiene.” The topic was chosen because hand hygiene is a simple yet effective way of preventing the transmission of infections in healthcare settings.
2. Target Audience: The target audience is hospital staff, particularly nurses and doctors. They were chosen because they are the frontline workers in providing patient care and are most likely to transmit infections to patients.
3. Learner Assessment Questionnaire: The Learner Assessment Questionnaire will include three sections: learning preferences, learning needs, and learner demographics. Each section will have 10 questions. The questions will be designed to assess the learners’ current knowledge of hand hygiene, their preferred learning style, and any barriers to implementing hand hygiene practices in their workplace.
The questionnaire was developed using resources such as the IOM’s “To Err is Human” report and QSEN’s Competency KSAs (knowledge, skills, and attitudes). The tool will be beneficial in assessing learners because it will provide valuable data on the learners’ current knowledge and behavior regarding hand hygiene. This data can be used to tailor the teaching plan to the learners’ needs and preferences.
4. Goals and Objectives: The overall goal of the teaching plan is for learners to understand the importance of hand hygiene and to effectively implement hand hygiene practices in their workplace. The three learning objectives are:
– Identify at least three situations where hand hygiene is necessary in a healthcare setting
– Demonstrate proper hand hygiene technique in a simulated healthcare environment
– Develop a personalized hand hygiene plan for their workplace that addresses barriers to hand hygiene compliance
These learning objectives are focused on specific cognitive processes and have action verbs according to Bloom’s Taxonomy. They are also measurable, making it easy to evaluate learners’ progress towards achieving the overall goal of the teaching plan.
In conclusion, this teaching plan project will help hospital staff learn about the importance of hand hygiene and provide them with the skills and knowledge necessary to effectively implement hand hygiene practices in their workplace. By using a learner-centered approach and assessing the learners’ needs and preferences, the teaching plan can effectively promote compliance with hand hygiene protocols, thus reducing the transmission of hospital-acquired infections.