1. Describe what professionalism in Nursing means to you. Describe your thoughts and feelings regarding the role of the professional nurse
2. Provide two specific examples of what a professional nurse does and/or professional behaviors of a nurse.3. Describe a real-life example/scenario of how you have witnessed the work of a professional nurse or have modeled professional behavior yourself in a healthcare setting.4. Minimum length 4 pages double spaced, 2 pages single spaced. Maximum length 6 pages double space, three pages single spaced.
Expert Solution Preview
As a medical professor, I find the concept of professionalism and the role of the professional nurse to be integral components for any nursing student to understand. In this assignment, I aim to provide my personal definition of professionalism in nursing, describe two specific examples of professional nurse behaviors, and finally, provide a real-life scenario that exemplifies professional nursing behavior.
1. Description of professionalism in Nursing:
To me, professionalism in nursing is the combination of several characteristics that allow nurses to provide compassionate and competent care to their patients. The hallmark of a professional nurse is their display of ethical behavior, excellent communication skills, sound judgement, and accountability. Professional nurses are knowledgeable and skilled, but also empathetic and compassionate, and act in the best interest of their patients. Professional nursing practice requires that nurses meet certain ethical and moral standards that are oriented towards patient care and safety.
2. Two specific examples of what a professional nurse does or professional behaviors of a nurse:
First, professional nurses maintain a high level of integrity and professionalism while providing patient care. They uphold ethical standards and principles in all aspects of their practice, such as maintaining patient confidentiality and respecting patients’ autonomy.
Second, professional nurses are constantly learning and adapting to new technologies and advances within the medical field. They stay informed of new procedures, medications, and treatments to provide patients with the best available care. They actively seek out opportunities for professional development to stay up to date with the most current practices and research.
3. A real-life example/scenario of how you have witnessed the work of a professional nurse or have modeled professional behavior yourself in a healthcare setting:
In one instance, I saw a professional nurse demonstrate cultural sensitivity and compassion in caring for a patient from a different country. The patient did not speak English, and the nurse made every effort to connect with them and provide care that was tailored to their specific needs. The nurse made use of an interpreter to communicate with the patient, and took extra care to understand and respect their cultural practices and beliefs. By doing this, the nurse helped the patient feel more comfortable and supported during their stay in the hospital.
In conclusion, professionalism in nursing encompasses ethical behavior, excellent communication skills, sound judgement, accountability, and the ability to relate to patients from various backgrounds. Through their actions and behaviors, professional nurses continuously work towards providing compassionate and competent care to their patients. They are dedicated to lifelong learning, staying current with advances in the medical field and engaging in professional development activities. I hope that through this assignment, nursing students will gain a greater understanding of the qualities and behaviors that professional nurses should embody.